GordonFA

Books Are Like Ships

“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea.” - Roald Dahl

Erik Larson
Winter's Tale
Mark Helprin
Cleopatra: A Life
Stacy Schiff
Attention All Passengers: The Airlines' Dangerous Descent---and How to Reclaim Our Skies
William J. McGee
Peril at End House: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
Agatha Christie
Progress: 71/279 pages
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Creamy & Crunchy

Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History) - Jon Krampner

I'm incredibly interested in how certain foods have become staples of our diet and food history.  In addition to books devoted to food items like sugar and salt, you can add peanut butter to the list.

Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food is an incredibly entertaining and informative read about not only how peanut butter came to be synonymous with comfort food in America, but it also explores the many brands of PB that used to exist, and how we now find ourselves with fewer brands dominating the market.

The book also goes into the production of PB and what can go wrong when you allow businesses that make PB to run ungoverned and unsupervised.  The book goes into great detail about the Peter Pan brand of PB that was recalled due to salmonella.  In fact, Peter Pan had two recalls in 2007 and 2009.  Needless to say, it's no surprise that Peter Pan trails Skippy and industry leader Jif.

Whether you're a Skippy fan or a Jif fan, or God forbid a Peter Pan fan (remember the recalls due to salmonella?) I highly recommend this book.